Friday, June 22, 2012
My college roommate is coming into town for my birthday (which isn't until Sunday)/birthday party which is enough for me because having unscripted, hilarious adventures is our forte. It's so nice to be around people who you've known for years and are so close with, which is exactly what my party will be. I've never been much for a big to-do so I'm opting for an intimate shin-dig at my place with good food, good drinks, and good friends. I can't wait :)
Who knows birthday adventures await, I feel like I'm in that moment when you take a big gulp of air right before you dunk your head under water. That almost dizzy feeling that's so full of potential. Does that make sense? Regardless, I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, I've got some celebrations to tend to ;)
Posted by Niha at 1:20 PM
Saturday, June 9, 2012
I wrote this post on 6/9/12, at 1:37 PM. I remember writing it and feeling glad I did but knowing I wouldn't post it. At the time, I think this was somewhat of a diary post but now, two years later, it's mostly just a list of thoughts. There are still a few thoughts below that ring true (always yes to cake) and some not so much (Pinterest is SO FUN). My biggest departure from where I was when I wrote this is feeling so uneasy about my professional self. 2 jobs, 2 cities, and 3 years into my career, I feel like I've amassed a great deal of experience and built a network I can rely on to help me in and out of any situation. I was 23 when I wrote this, and now, as a 25 year old, I can bravely share this with the world in the hope that someone out there will read this and know that we all have days like this and from them, things only get better. So here you go, musings from my 23 year old self;
- My birthday is approaching, I hate birthdays.
- I would love to eat a whole cake right now. Chocolate on chocolate of course.
- I have to stop making to-do lists only to abandon them for marathon episodes of Mad Men.
- I am so lucky and so hungry for more all at the same time.
- How can it be so dark in my apartment when it's light out?
- I'm having one of those days.
- Meeting people you find inspirational is somewhat of a let down because then you realize they're just people like you when you wanted them to be a superhero of sorts.
- Sometimes it's you and the world, sometimes it's you in the world.
- I miss everything about my old life even though none of those people exist anymore.
- Am I supposed to be successful or something? Shit.
- I mostly want the things I want for how I think they'll make me feel, not for what they are.
- Expensive shoes should be comfortable like expensive meals should be delicious.
- Failure to launch.
- I mean, what the hell am I doing?
- When did I start hating birthdays?
- If I eat chocolate chip pancakes for brunch, does that mean I have to go to the gym?
- I probably shouldn't have texted you last night. Oops.
- I wish the Upper West Side was actually downtown.
- Pinterest is where feelings of inadequacy are born.
- So, are we just never going to speak again?
- 3 of my nails are chipped and I'm out of nail polish remover.
- One day, I'll change my pillow covers weekly, not monthly.
- You can clean and organize all you want, it won't fix the chaos in your life.
- Is this post whiny?
- We were supposed to see Perks of Being a Wallflower together.
- I really wish I knew how to swim.
- I just don't think it's fair how much more upkeep women have than men!
- I don't know, I'm done with this.
Posted by Niha at 1:37 PM