Sunday, January 1, 2012

To new beginnings

One of these years, I want to be be there here.

2011 was a big year for me. I graduated college, moved to my dream city, got my first job, and my first apartment. It was also a difficult year, especially towards the end, so I can't say i'm too sad to see it end. I don't have any resolutions (I sort of think they're silly, don't you agree?) but I know there are plenty of things I'd like to be or do in this new year. Like watch move films, not movies, films. The kind that are limited release and it'll be hard to convince a friend to go with you but it'll be worth it in the end. I want to work really hard and move up in the world. I want to visit my family often because distance is a silly excuse to be away from the ones you love.

I really want to learn something new. Like...how to make a souffle or something. But something more exciting than just learning how to make  souffle, although I bet that would be delicious! I want to say learn a new language but I should probably refresh my dusty French before attempting Italian, my go-to want-to-learn-language. I want to end the year in a completely different place than where it started. I'm sure i'll have a new apartment (again) but more than that, I hope i'll look back and think "wow, so much has changed." I'm not entirely sure I can say that about this year. Not in the way I want to say it at least.

It's New Year's Day though and I always have this strange superstition that whatever you do on this day and how you feel throughout, will carry forward into the rest of the year. It's absolutely silly but it's the reason I always make sure today is enough of all the things you'd want for the rest of the year. For example, today I am spending the day with my best friends, going ice skating, eating at one my favorite places, and tonight, (we're not sure what yet...) we're going to do something new and exciting. Because that's what this new year is and should be, new and exciting.

I hope 2012 is everything you want it to be, Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment