Sunday, January 8, 2012

Travel Bucket List

The world is a book and those who do not travel 
only read one page. 
~ St. Augustine 

Yesterday, I woke up with the burning desire to dream of all the places I want to travel before I die. This was literally my first thought. Not what the hell time is it or ughhhhhh, rather I must go to St. Thomas!
Sometime back, I had this realization that you'll die having not seen most of the world. Think about that for a second. Are you thinking? Did it blow your mind and suddenly make your a determined traveler like it did for me? Of course it did! Now that we're on the same page...

It's not like I have to visit the Abbey of Melleray in Western France to see those monks that make cheese to feel satisfied with life (ps..- that's not genearl knowledge I have off the top of my head, I googled "monks cheese" and found that. p.p.s- they've since relocated to Kentucky...), it's just that when people mention those places people mention, I'd like to be a part of the conversation. I'd like to know just how white the sand is or clear the water. A friend's parents were telling me about their travels to Egypt and how seeing Ancient and New Egypt opened their eyes to the Western culture they were accustomed to. New Egypt is as much an urban city as Chicago or New York. Ancient Egypt is a vast dessert with mud-brick homes. Did  you know that more than half of Egypt's population lives in Cario? They said the pollution was so thick it made them cough. Here is a stunning picture I found of Cairo at night:

Fine. I found it on Wikipedia.

Enough of my ramblings about Egypt. Perhaps that conversation (paired with a Pinot Grigio and hummus and crackers) was what sparked all this. Not only had they seen these places, they'd been to them multiple times over! I know it's a luxury of their lifestyle, they own a small bed and breakfast in their costal tourist town in Turkey where they only work in the summer and follow the European custom of winter vacations.  I am fairly certain i'll never lead such a lifestyle but making time for travel doesn't have to be an epic commitment. Right? As I typed that, my first thought was Don't I only have two weeks of vacation for the whole year? I've already have travel plans this year with my family for a wedding, it's no where glamorous but it's somewhere new and that's just as important as it being somewhere glamorous. Speaking of glamorous, I'm now going to dream up my Travel Bucket List. I don't believe it's in any particular order, they're just all places I'd love to see.


  1. St. Thomas of the U.S. Virgin Islands- obviously. It was my waking thought!
  2. St. Lucia
  3. St. Tropez- I love the Saints I suppose.
  4. Turks & Caicos
  5. Egypt!
  6. France, France, France. I studied French for so long it would be a shame not to go.
  7. Italy. I've always had a fascination with Italy. Maybe it's the history. Or the Trevi Fountain (how touristy of me, I know). Whatever it is, I want to spend a good stretch of time here. Maybe I'll pull an Eat, Pray, Love, hah!
  8. Geneva, Switzerland. My brother says it's the most beautiful place he's ever been to and he's been to a lot of places so i'm going to trust him on this one.
  9. Monte Carlo, Monaco
  10. Cabo San Lucas. I guess I never got that one out of my system in college.
  11. Puerto Rico
  12. Bahamas
  13. Prague, Czech Public. Mostly because it's so foreign I need to know something about it.  
  14. Budapest, Hungary. See reason above.
  15. Tokyo, Japan
  16. Santorini/Athens, Greece! How could I forget this one? I always have Santorini in my mind as a place I'd really, really love to see.
  17. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil! For Carnival! How spectacular would that be? I studied Carnival in a college music class and my fascination began there. 
  18. Morocco
  19. Dubai
  20. Kerala, India. It's only appropriate I end with India :) 
Okay, any more, and i'll just adding randomly to my list. I'd love to say this is the moment I decided upon these places and quit my job an traveled the world because you only live once, yada yada. But it's not. It's is a small towards making sure that do travel though and resist the temptation to get caught up in my life. Which I tend to do, a lot. I'd love to know what you think of my list, have you been to these places? Would you go to these places? I showed you my list, now show me yours! 

No comments:

Post a Comment